Thursday, October 1, 2009

Childhood Comforts

So many thoughts, ideas, fears and woes are crashing around in my head.  I worry about this, did I do that, did I say the wrong thing, did I imagine my success.... always worrying, always, doubting.

So tonight after a little tossing and a little turning.  I decided to find the cure for my worries as a child.  I always escaped in a book.  A few specials ones were frequently visited.  So tonight, to help me rest, to clear my head and maybe find a little peace.  I would like to read you two special poems to me.  They both come from one of my very favorites "A Light in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein.  I could quote most of his poems to you as a little girl and as I juggle my 30s now - I find his wisdom still holds true.



INVITATION by Shel Silverstein

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!


God's Wheel by Shel Silverstein

GOD says to me with a kind
of smile, "Hey how would you like
to be God awhile And steer the world?"

"Okay," says I, "I'll give it a try.

Where do I set?
How much do I get?
What time is lunch?
When can I quit?"

"Gimme back that wheel," says GOD.

"I don't think you're quite ready YET."

No comments:

Post a Comment