Friday, January 8, 2010

Well, I Believe in the Texas Longhorns.

Last night, I, along with the rest of America, watched something amazing.  Today, my heart truly breaks for the Longhorns.  A few weeks back I talked about hope and that I truly hoped the Longhorns didn't break my heart.

And you know what, it wasn't them... it was the game. 

A part of me thinks its wrong that I cried.  I had said since December, after watching the SEC Championship game... that I hoped we would win, but I didn't think we would.  But I never imagined it going down like that.

All season, I have called Garret Gilbert "The Freshmen".  If you asked me why I would tell you that its because he hadn't done anything to earn a name yet.  Garrett Gilbert did last night.  It wasn't a pretty performance, and I know - there were 4 interceptions and I think 2 fumbles.  But he kept on trying.


I have never hoped for anything like I hoped last night.  Not so much for the Longhorns, as much as for that kid, Gilbert.  I hoped he wouldn't have to bear the weight of that game or the loss on his little 19 year old shoulders.  I hoped that something miraclous would happen and that Colt McCoy would jog back on the field in a blaze of glory.  I hoped that Will Muschamp could stop Alabama's offense (and it looked like he would a little bit there.) I hoped that Marcell Dareus would somehow disappear off the face of the earth, and especially out of the Rose Bowl.

And today, in the light of day,  I don't know if I have ever been prouder to be a Longhorn.  I know he cried, but Colt didn't do it on TV like Tebow.  Made me proud.  I know that Ingram deserved the Heisman for his performance on the field.  But he kind of acted like a punk.  Made me proud of our boys for being stoic.  But you know what really, really made me proud?

What made me wear my burnt orange today?

That with seconds left to win the National Championship against a true freshman quarterback - McElroy didn't look to the crowd and cheer for Bama, he didn't look to his maker and thank him for the opportunity he'd been given.  Nope.  He didn't do any of that.  He did a Horns down.  Because in his victory, he wanted to celebrate our defeat. 

It felt really, really good to matter that much to someone.  Because, I will gladly take all the hate over indifference.  So keep on hating, keep putting us at number 2, keep underestimating.... because after last night I really, really can't wait to see what the Horns have in store for me next year.

Hook 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment