Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Stand Corrected (dedicated to JMay and Davey)

I have literally raced home from bible study to post this.  Stop laughing, yes I was really at bible study.  And no, the church did not burn to the ground.

I have been advised that I posted information in error. In my entry entitled "Why I Love College Football" I mistaking noted Alabama vs. Arkansas as a rivalry game.  I have been advised, now multiple times, that Alabama vs. Arkansas is not actually a rivalry for either team. 

Which, when I think about it makes sense.  I mean, who gives a shit about Alabama or Arkansas.

I should have noted Alabama vs. Auburn and Arkansas vs. ???  Wait, who does Arkansas have a rivalry with???  I guess Texas.  From what I can tell they are still really pissed about losing the National Championship to Texas 40 years ago.  I mention this only from personal experience as I've found that most Arkansas fans (except the Mauldins and the Lindens) have a tendancy to dislike me.  Oh, and my Aunt Sherry.  She likes me.  But that's a confusing relationship because she really likes LSU but lives in Fayetteville.  Anyhoo, I lost my point.  The point is I have no idea who Arkansas has a rivalry with.

I guess until I can confer with my Arkansas Historical Expert, Bruce Mauldin... we'll all just have to settle for Arkansas vs. ???

Please forgive my mistake in my earlier posting.

Editors Note:  No one from Arkansas or Alabama has been able to correct Sherry's grammatical mistakes only her football ones. 

3 comments:

  1. I know A&M used to be rivals with Arkansas because the old animal science building Now animal industries building) was designed by an architect who was a Razorback. He placed animal carvings made out of concrete around the top of the building. Secretly, he added razorbacks on all four corners.

    From Wikipedia:

    "One of the main rivalries for the Arkansas Razorbacks is against the Longhorns of the University of Texas, although today the Longhorns have several other rivalries that they consider more important - notably Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Texas leads the series in football, while Arkansas holds the series lead in basketball. For Arkansas, the rivalry is an emotional experience and Arkansas fans and media go into a frenzy when the two teams play in any sport. The emotional intensity from the Arkansas side in these games overwhelms and bewilders Texas fans at times, including the 2000 Cotton Bowl, where Arkansas fans outnumbered Texas fans by almost 2 to 1 in Dallas. The Razorbacks won that game, 27-6.

    Another rival from the state of Texas is Texas A&M. During their Southwestern Conference rivalry days, the two teams played annually in all sports. In 2009, the rivalry will again resume on an annual basis, being played each year at Cowboys Stadium. (see Arkansas-Texas A&M rivalry)

    Since joining the Southeastern Conference the Razorbacks have developed a rivalry with Louisiana State University (LSU Tigers) in football. The game between these two teams usually takes place near the end of the season and has sometimes decided the SEC Western Division Championship. The winner of this game takes home the "Golden Boot" which is a gold trophy in the shape of the two states. Arkansas took the Golden Boot home in 2007 with a 50-48 win over the #1 ranked Tigers in Baton Rouge. This was their first time winning the trophy since 2002. Arkansas and LSU have also built a rivalry in baseball, as the two schools have been at the top of the NCAA attendance standings for the past several seasons. In 2001, despite coming into the series in last place in the SEC West, Arkansas swept a three-game series from top-ranked LSU, which won the 2000 College World Series, in Fayetteville."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart you, you make me laugh
    Tammie

    ReplyDelete